Greater Allentown Math Science Partnership (GAMSP)
The Greater Allentown Math Science Partnership (GAMSP) is a high-quality, Pennsylvania standards-based professional development program created by the Allentown School District and the Da Vinci Science Center. The program is offered to educators in the Allentown School District and Diocese of Allentown with Level I and Level II certifications in grades 7-12 Science and/or Math, or certification to teach grades K-6. Participants earn Pennsylvania Act 48 hours and a generous stipend.
About the Program
GAMSP programming provides educators deeper math and science content, a greater ability to teach though the inquiry method, powerful cross-connections, and the ability to empower their students with a deeper understanding of concepts, reasoning, and process skills. Participants also obtain science and math materials for their classes and receive free demo lessons for their students. GAMSP programming includes a ten-day summer workshop and teacher-led Professional Learning Communities (PLC) designed by the participants. GAMSP instructors – including college and Allentown School District faculty members – ensure that the workshop training is academically rigorous and relevant to today’s classrooms.
- GAMSP participants teach actively in an Allentown School District or Diocese elementary, middle, or high school
- GAMSP works with teachers with Level I and Level II certifications in grades 7-12 Science and/or Math, or certification to teach grades K-6
- Participants also are required to participate in individual teacher-led PLC meetings, and attend after-school workshops or two (2) weekend workshops during the academic year
- Pretests and post-tests are required; results are kept confidential and are used only to evaluate the success of the program itself
- Visits from an independent evaluator take place to observe teachers’ classroom lessons; these observations are kept confidential and are used only to evaluate the program itself
Contact @DSC: Karen Knecht, 484.664.1002, Ext. 108