Inventors Lab Program
One of the most unique programs of its kind in the United States, the Da Vinci Science Center Inventors Lab Program provides students in Grades 5-8 the opportunity to explore the invention process through hands-on activities and presentations by professional scientists and engineers. One student is selected each year for a chance to apply for a United States patent with donated legal assistance.
Inventors Lab Program Information
- Students are mentored by industry professionals in a series of monthly Saturday morning sessions starting in September.
- Students develop their invention ideas between sessions and present them before a panel of patent attorneys and experts during the Inventors Lab Showcase in April.
- The showcase panel selects one invention to be considered for a U.S. Provisional Patent application.
- Saturday morning sessions take place from 9 a.m.-12 p.m., and participants are asked to arrive by 8:45 a.m.
U.S. Patents and Applications
- Ambrose Cavalier of Saylorsburg, Pa., earned U.S. Patent number 9,371,164 on June 21, 2016 at the age of 13 for an adjustable dispensing bottle cap, and U.S. Patent number 9,676,529 on June 13, 2017 for modifications to his design
- William Schopf of Whitehall, Pa., earned U.S. Patent number 8,274,169 on Sept. 25, 2012, at the age of 14 for a wind-powered generator for a vehicle
- Vidhyasai Annem of Allentown, Pa., has earned a provisional patent and has applied for a full patent for a multiple-section hair brush that keeps stray hair from falling to the floor
Inventors Lab Session Dates 2017-2018
|Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017||Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018
|Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017||Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018
|Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017||Saturday, March 17, 2018
|Saturday, Dec. 16, 2017||Saturday, April 21, 2018 (Showcase)
- Only 24 spaces are available for students who will be in Grades 5-8 during the fall of 2017.
- The program is $395 per student
- Registration is open exclusively for members from July 10-23, 2017.
- Registration is open to the general public on July 24, 2017.
- STEP 1: Complete the pre-registration form on the web.
- STEP 2: Complete the registration form provided by e-mail and submit with payment.
Contact @DSC: Kate Heflin, 484.664.1002, Ext. 116