Da Vinci Science Center News Kit
The Da Vinci Science Center (DSC) is a national award-winning nonprofit organization that has brought science to life and lives to science since 1992.
The Center’s hands-on exhibits, programs, and partnership efforts present the STEM subjects of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics to kids informally, playfully, and in ways that relate to their popular interests. These active and engaging experiences awaken interest, promote fundamental skills, and inspire students to consider exciting STEM careers that meet growing industry demands. The Center also promotes creativity, artistry, and current-day applications of qualities of greatness embodied by Leonardo da Vinci and the innovators who have succeeded him.
The Center served a record total of 142,743 participants in its latest fiscal year ending June 30, 2016, and its annual participation has increased by 73 percent since 2011.
To bring science to life and lives to science
To be a visionary leader and partner advancing science learning, quality of life, and economic development in the Lehigh Valley area by:
Delivering Enjoyable Experiences for Families
Providing Leadership in STEM Education Throughout the Area
Inspiring an Outstanding 21st Century Workforce
Contributing to Social and Economic Vitality
- Motivating and educating members of the future STEM workforce
- Inventor’s Lab Program, which inspires students to innovate and has helped three students earn full or provisional U.S. Patents
- Annual operating budget of $3 million with 40 year-round and 25 seasonal staff positions
Our Efforts to Reach the Underserved
- Staff of 40 year-round and 25 seasonal staff positions
- Approximately 175 volunteers ages 15 and up
- Executive Director and CEO: Lin Erickson
- Chief Administrative Officer/CFO: Maureen Michael
- Board of Trustees of corporate executives, educational leaders, and community champions
- Chairman: Vincent Sorgi, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, PPL Corporation
Our Legal Information
- Legal Name: The Da Vinci Discovery Center of Science and Technology, Inc.
- Federal Tax ID Number with IRS 501(c)(3) Status: 23-2824084
- Reports and disclosures available on Da Vinci Science Center website
- The organization’s preferred brand name and public identification is “Da Vinci Science Center.” It should be noted that the brand name is spelled correctly with a space between “Da” and “Vinci.” It is preferred that terms such as “Da Vinci Center” are not used as they do not reflect the organization and its mission accurately.
- Recommended secondary references for news professionals are “the science center” or “the center.” The Da Vinci Science Center capitalizes the word “Center” when referring to itself in its marketing and communications platforms.
- The Da Vinci Science Center’s official initialization is “DSC.” Other initializations or acronyms are not recommended.
- It is recommended that the Da Vinci Science Center’s slogan – Open for ExSCIting Possibilities – is represented in type face as shown here. Recommended shortened references to this slogan – as used in appropriate context – are ExSCIting Possibilities and ExSCIting. The Center also may use the adjective “exciting,” in its accepted formal spelling, in contexts not relating to this slogan.
- The Da Vinci Science Center is considered to be an organization that specializes in what is known as “informal science education.” Public and private schools, colleges, and universities are examples of what is known as “formal education.” Therefore, it is recommended strongly that members of the Center’s education and exhibits staff are referred to as “Educators” instead of “Teachers.” It also is recommended that the term “museum” is not used relating to the Da Vinci Science Center.
- The Da Vinci Science Center is within the limits of the City of Allentown, Pa., and wishes to have its location identified as Allentown, Pa.
- The Da Vinci Science Center is an independent nonprofit organization with its own IRS 501(c)(3) status, budget, and Board of Trustees. The Center leases land on the campus of Cedar Crest College and is not an affiliate or entity of the college.
Logo Mark Use
- The Da Vinci Science Center’s official Logo is the black circle with artistic rendering of Leonardo da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man image – as updated for the 21st century.
- The Da Vinci Science Center’s official Logo Mark includes the logo and the official name visualization of “Da Vinci Science Center.” Versions of the logo mark with the Center’s slogan – Open for ExSCIting Possibilities – and without the slogan are available for download.
- Logo Mark treatments for black-and-white platforms and use on colored backgrounds are available upon request. Logo mark files of different electronic formats also are available upon request.
- Click here to download the DSC logo mark with slogan (.png)
- Click here to download the DSC Logo Mark without slogan (.png)
- A library of large, high-resolution photos is available through the Da Vinci Science Center’s Flickr stream. All images found on this stream, unless noted as not the property of the Da Vinci Science Center, may be downloaded and used by news professionals with appropriate and feasible attribution to the Da Vinci Science Center.
- The Da Vinci Science Center posts videos on its YouTube page. Videos on this page that are the property of the Da Vinci Science Center – including its news videos and videocast episodes – may be downloaded and used by news professionals with appropriate and feasible attribution to the Da Vinci Science Center. Episodes of the Up and Atom Science series are property of WFMZ 69 News and are used here for educational purposes.
- The Da Vinci Science Center takes pride in providing clear, insightful content and commentary for news organizations. In order to provide the best content for news media professionals, it is recommended strongly that interviews are arranged in advance.
Potential Interview Sources and Topics
- Lin Erickson, Executive Director and CEO: Education administration; fundraising; community building; topics relating to women in science and engineering
- Karen Knecht, Director of Education: All general science topics; informal science education; educational programming
- Tyler Groft, Museum Education Manager: All general science topics; informal science education; educational programming
- Interviews with additional Da Vinci Science Center staff members, volunteers, and Trustees can be made available as is feasible and appropriate upon request
Reports and Disclosures
- The organization’s formal legal name is The Da Vinci Discovery Center of Science and Technology, Inc.
- The organization’s Federal Tax ID Number with its IRS 501(c)(3) Status is 23-2824084.
- The Da Vinci Science Center is registered with the Pennsylvania Department of State and with government bodies in other American states.
- Da Vinci Science Center annual reports, tax identification documents, tax returns, and fundraising disclosures are available on the web at www.davincisciencecenter.org/disclosures.
Contact @DSC: Communications Office, 484.664.1002, Ext. 112