H/News/ATAS Wins Ice Cream Wars 7.0 as Center Sets Visitation Record

ATAS Wins Ice Cream Wars 7.0 as Center Sets Visitation Record

Ice Cream Wars 7.0
The team from ATAS International, Inc. topped a nine-company field at the Da Vinci Science Center Saturday to capture the Ice Cream Wars 7.0 Championship while the Center set a new single-day record for visitation.

A total of 1,345 visitors packed the Da Vinci Science Center on Saturday, setting a new standard day visitation record. The Center’s previous high was 1,256 visitors on Feb. 17, 2013.

The nine Ice Cream Wars teams from regional and global companies devised fresh batches of playful ice cream flavors and froze their treats instantly using liquid nitrogen at negative 320 degrees Fahrenheit provided by Air Products. When mixed with room-temperature ingredients, liquid nitrogen evaporates quickly and produces a smooth, creamy ice cream treat that is safe to eat in approximately five minutes. The competition’s occurrence in the chill winter adds to its unique nature.

The Ice Cream Wars 7.0 Championship was determined by a formula in which visitors’ votes accounted for 75 percent and scoring from a panel of professional chefs and foodie fans comprised the remaining 25 percent. The team from B. Braun finished as the competition’s runner-up and the defending Ice Cream Wars Champions from 401! Creative Weidenhammer finished in third place.

The team that achieved the highest score from the Foodie Fan Panel – the team from WFMZ 69 News – earned the competition’s Best In Class Award.

The winning recipe from ATAS was called Leonardo da Minty and included brownies, mint M&M candies, and mint chocolate flavoring. The Best In Class recipe from WFMZ 69 News was called Nutella Loves Pretzel and included Nutella and broken chocolate pretzels.

WFMZ 69 News Reporter Will Lewis served as Ice Cream Wars 7.0 host.

Ice Cream Wars has been a popular draw at the Da Vinci Science Center since its inception as a competition with teams of staff members. The Center adopted a corporate team format for Ice Cream Wars 4.0. The Ice Cream Wars 5.0 competition in 2013, held during an appearance of the world-famous Bodies Revealed exhibition, marked the first time that the Center drew more than 1,000 paid visitors in a single day in its history. The single-day record of 1,091 paid visitors came during the next-to-last day of the Bodies Revealed exhibition’s appearance.


News Media Contact @DSC: Dennis Zehner, 484.664.1002, Ext. 112
DSC Facts and News Resources
 

building

P: 484.664.1002
D: 3145 Hamilton Blvd. Bypass, Allentown, PA 18103
H: Mon.-Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sun. 12-5 p.m.
Get Directions