Northampton Area Middle School was the Viewers Choice Award winner for the second straight year and Broughal Middle School in Bethlehem, Pa., earned the award for overall excellence in the Dream It. Do It. PA Lehigh Valley Student Video Contest.
The Northampton Area and Broughal teams were among 30 middle school teams from Lehigh Northampton, Schuylkill, Carbon, and Bucks counties that took part in the third annual competition, which challenges students to explore the topic What’s So Cool About Manufacturing? The Lehigh Valley contest is produced by the Dream It. Do It. PA partnership, led by the Manufacturers Resource Center (MRC) in Allentown, Pa., and has inspired several contests of its kind across the Keystone State.
The teams from 25 different school districts were provided video equipment and training and are matched with manufacturing companies and teacher coaches. The teams created short video profiles of their respective companies and the career opportunities they offer.
More than 117,000 votes were cast for the Viewers Choice Award at DreamItDoItPA.com during a three-day period the prior week. The Viewers Choice Award was one of nine awards presented during the contest’s closing celebration Tuesday in front of more than 800 people at the ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks in Bethlehem, Pa. A panel of judges gave its award for the overall excellence and awards in seven additional categories.
The complete list of the 2016 Lehigh Valley contest’s awards and winners is as follows:
- Viewers Choice Award: Northampton Area Middle School for its profile of Piramal Critical Care
- Outstanding Program Award – Overall Excellence: Broughal Middle School in the Bethlehem Area School District for its profile of Just Born Quality Confections
- Outstanding Videography Award: Northern Lehigh Middle School in Slatington, Pa., for its profile of Atlas Machining and Welding
- Outstanding Editing Award: Schuylkill Haven Middle School for its profile of Cardinal Systems
- Outstanding Creativity Award: Nazareth Area Middle School for its profile of Martin Guitar
- Outstanding Cool Award: Eyer Middle School in the East Penn School District for its profile of Smooth-On
- Outstanding Educational Value Award: (Tie) Nitschmann Middle School in the Bethlehem Area School District for its profile of American Millwork & Cabinetry and Palmerton Area Junior High School for its profile of Blue Ridge Pressure Casting
- Outstanding Team Spirit Award: Springhouse Middle School in the Parkland School District for its profile of ProtoCAM
- Outstanding Marketing Plan Award: Tamaqua Area Middle School relating to its profile of Highwood USA
The Dream It. Do It. PA partnership created the contest in 2013 to help raise student awareness and appreciation of advanced manufacturing careers and to help improve the image of these careers. The contest’s format has been adopted by groups in Pittsburgh, Pa., and Chester County, Pa., and groups in five other American states. Additional Dream It. Do It. PA lead partners are the Lehigh Valley Workforce Development Board in Allentown, Pa.; the Da Vinci Science Center in Allentown, Pa.; the Lehigh Career and Technical School (LCTI) in Schnecksville, Pa.; Bethlehem Area Vocational-Technical School (BAVTS); the Career Institute of Technology (CIT) in Easton, Pa; and the Carbon Career and Technical Institute (CCTI) in Jim Thorpe, Pa.
The Dream It. Do It. PA is a partnership is dedicated to changing perceptions and attitudes in the Keystone State about advanced manufacturing careers. Dream It. Do It. PA started in 2013 as an effort called Lehigh Valley Skill Up to raise awareness in the Lehigh Valley area. The popularity of the partnership’s flagship student video contests and its rights to the national Dream It. Do It. brand for Pennsylvania have enabled it to expand its reach throughout the commonwealth. The Dream It. Do It. PA website offers useful information and resources for students, parents, educators, and manufacturers.
, 484.664.1002, Ext. 112