Ice Cream Wars
Ice Cream Wars is the Da Vinci Science Center’s signature science event and is held on the first or second Saturday of January.
About Ice Cream Wars
- Ice Cream Wars pits teams from regional and global companies in a playful competition for culinary supremacy. Teams devise fresh batches of creative ice cream flavors and produce their treats instantly for visitors using liquid nitrogen from Air Products.
- Visitors taste the flavors and choose their favorite flavors. Visitor vote comprises 75 percent of the formula that determines the Ice Cream Wars Champion.
- The remaining 25 percent is determined by a specially-chosen Foodie Fan Panel. The Foodie Fan Panel also gives awards to teams for creativity, playful competitive spirit, and sportsmanship.
- Teams begin working months in advance to create themes, decorate their stations, dress colorfully, and encourage employees and fans to visit and vote. The passion and spirit shown by the teams creates an electric atmosphere inside the Da Vinci Science Center throughout the day.
- The wintry date for Ice Cream Wars adds to the event’s unique feel, and the competition is a tasty chemistry lesson for kids. The liquid nitrogen at negative 320 degrees Fahrenheit acts as a flash-freezing agent that evaporates when mixed with flavorful ingredients and creates a creamy ice cream that is ready to eat in about five minutes.
Ice Cream Wars 8.0
- B. Braun won the Ice Cream Wars 8.0 Championship and the Best In Class Award from the Foodie Fan Panel during competition on Jan. 9, 2016.
- Just Born was the runner-up and WFMZ 69 News finished third in the overall standings.
- The Da Vinci Science Center drew a single-day record crowd of 1,841 visitors.
- A record total of 1,224 visitor votes were cast.
Ice Cream Wars Champions
- 8.0 (2016): B. Braun
- 7.0 (2015): ATAS International
- 6.0 (2014): 401! Creative
- 5.0 (2013): PPL Corporation
- 4.0 (2012): 401! Creative
- 3.0 (2011): Daddy and the Three Js, Da Vinci Science Center
- 2.0 (2010): Bean Town Brats, Da Vinci Science Center
- 1.0 (2009): Vanilla Ice, Da Vinci Science Center
Ice Cream Wars Championship Recipes
- 8.0 (2016): Salted Sea Caramel – Sea salt, caramel, crushed caramel candies
- 7.0 (2015): Leonardo da Minty – Brownies, mint M&M candies, mint chocolate flavoring
- 6.0 (2014): Four-Oh-Waffle – Mini chocolate chips, bite-sized waffles, maple syrup, strawberries
- 5.0 (2013): Coal Cookie Crunch – Vanilla, Oreo cookies, chocolate syrup, marshmallow cream
- 4.0 (2012): Strawberry Cookie Crunch – Vanilla, fresh strawberries, red food coloring, Oreo cookies
- 3.0 (2011): Rainbow Ripple – Oreo cookies, food coloring, and caramel (contest mystery ingredient)
- 2.0 (2010): Oreo Cheesecake – Oreo cookies, strawberry cheesecake
- 1.0 (2010): Cool Vanilla – Vanilla extract
Contact @DSC: Dennis Zehner
, 484.664.1002, Ext. 112