Ice Cream Wars

Ice Cream Wars is the Da Vinci Science Center’s annual flagship visitor event and is held on the second Saturday of January.

Ice Cream Wars pits teams from regional and global companies in a playful competition for culinary supremacy. Teams device fresh batches of creative ice cream flavors and produce their treats instantly for visitors using liquid nitrogen from Air Products. Visitors taste the flavors and choose their favorite flavors. Visitor vote comprises 75 percent of the formula that determines the Ice Cream Wars 8.0 Champion. The remaining 25 percent represents a vote from a specially-chosen Foodie Fan Panel. The Foodie Fan Panel also gives awards to teams for creativity, playful competitive spirit, and sportsmanship.

The wintry date for Ice Cream Wars adds to the event’s unique feel, and the competition is a tasty chemistry lesson for kids. The liquid nitrogen at negative 320 degrees Fahrenheit acts as a flash-freezing agent that evaporates when mixed with flavorful ingredients and creates a creamy ice cream that is ready to eat in about five minutes.

Created to attract new visitors to the Da Vinci Science Center, Ice Cream Wars draws the Center’s largest single day crowd routinely. Ice Cream Wars 7.0 in Jan. 2015 set the Center’s current single-day visitation record with 1,345 total visitors. Teams begin working months in advance to create themes, decorate their stations, dress colorfully, and encourage employees and fans to visit and vote. The passion and spirit shown by the teams creates an electric atmosphere inside the Da Vinci Science Center throughout the day.

Ice Cream Wars 8.0

  • Date and Time: Jan. 9, 2016, 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
  • Defending Champion: ATAS International

Ice Cream Wars Champions

  • 7.0 (2015): ATAS International
  • 6.0 (2014): 401! Creative
See More
  • 5.0 (2013): PPL Corporation
  • 4.0 (2012): 401! Creative
  • 3.0 (2011): Daddy and the Three Js, Da Vinci Science Center
  • 2.0 (2010): Bean Town Brats, Da Vinci Science Center
  • 1.0 (2009): Vanilla Ice, Da Vinci Science Center

Ice Cream Wars Championship Recipes

  • 7.0 (2015): Leonardo da Minty – Brownies, mint M&M candies, mint chocolate flavoring
  • 6.0 (2014): Four-Oh-Waffle – Mini chocolate chips, bite-sized waffles, maple syrup, strawberries
See More
  • 5.0 (2013): Coal Cookie Crunch – Vanilla, Oreo cookies, chocolate syrup, marshmallow cream
  • 4.0 (2012): Strawberry Cookie Crunch – Vanilla, fresh strawberries, red food coloring, Oreo cookies
  • 3.0 (2011): Rainbow Ripple – Oreo cookies, food coloring, and caramel (contest mystery ingredient)
  • 2.0 (2010): Oreo Cheesecake – Oreo cookies, strawberry cheesecake
  • 1.0 (2010): Cool Vanilla – Vanilla extract


Contact @DSC: Dennis Zehner, 484.664.1002, Ext. 112

Ice Cream Wars 8.0 Teams


P: 484.664.1002
D: 3145 Hamilton Blvd. Bypass, Allentown, PA 18103
H: Mon.-Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sun. 12-5 p.m.
Get Directions